Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Tricking ourselves to be more creative:

Different ways we could try to trick ourselves into being more creative that I though of were:
Focusing on how to approach each project uniquely so we will be more inspired because it would be more of our own ideas rather than the assignment.
Imagine that these are projects we have chosen to do in our free time, try to get ourselves to think they are.
We could just quit school and create art for ourselves, similarly to people quitting their jobs to work for themselves.
We could just stop looking at our grades telling teachers to file them but that we don’t want to see them, going cold turkey from them may make us less addicted to them.

1 comment:

  1. Ludwig Wittgenstein, maybe the greatest philosopher of the 20th cent. taught at Cambridge. He told his best students that if they really cared about philosophy and were willing to dedicate their lives to it, that they should drop out of school and he would tutor them privately in his own apartment. Some did this, other refused. He wrote off those students who refused. I actually think there is something to this view of teaching.

    Your last idea is one that I am toying around with for next year. I'm thinking that I will give full page written feedback to each student for a project, but that I will give them the option of seeing what their grade is. I would encourage students to not ask to see their grades, or to wait until the very end of the semester. I'm not sure if this would really work or not, but I'm thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete